Thursday, March 19, 2009

HTML to RSS conversion

Some time ago I was looking to publish a RSS feed for the blog like updates I did to my site http://hemenkapadia.somme.com. While the site itself is simple HTML (actually asp) there was no direct way to convert it into a RSS feed.

The solution to this issue is to use various "HTML to RSS" utilities that are available online. A simple google search for the term yielded multiple sites that serve the purpose, so now the issue was to find out which one was the best.

Initially I tried RSSxl (and it is still implemented on my site) as i found it to serve my purpose the best. It actually had the feature of allowing good regular expression parsing to help generate a RSS feed with all elements I needed with proper syntax. But it seems the site exceeded its bandwidth and is running into issues.

Feedity is hardly anything impressive (dont even bother using it).

The best one I found was Feed43. It has the most flexible and powerful regular expression parser that helped me generate the RSS feed exactly as I wanted to. It is even better than RSSxl.

I have stopped updating http://hemenkapadia.somee.com ever since I purchased my own domain http://www.getbhavcopy.com and hosted it on Webs.com.

However I noticed that the RSS feed of the stock Blog App provided by Webs does not honor HTML tags in the CDATA section in the 'description' tag of the field. This creates an RSS feed where the main content does not contain any HTML tags to aid formatting and the feed content looks like a huge paragraph of gibberish text (basically not very presentable) (View the original feed)

This brought me to Feed43. It took me about 10 minutes to figure out the set of regular expressions and I was in business. The RSS feed for the same Blog App generated by Fee43 contains all the same HTML tags as in the original post and that makes that feed extremely presentable. (View the same feed processed by Feed43)

The best part is that Feed43 is a Free service, which will suffice most people. They also have advanced paid service in case of heavy usage.

No comments:

Post a Comment